The All Party Parliamentary Group on Obesity hosts regular events at Westminster to inform MPs and Peers on obesity related issues. We try to ensure as many meetings as possible are open to the wider stakeholder community.
If you would like to put your name forward for invitations to meetings, you can email obesityAPPG@mailpbconsulting.com
These pages give information about past events.
The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Obesity Report Launch
The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Obesity launched its inquiry findings on 15th May 2018 at an official event in Parliament. Attendees were invited from across the stakeholder groups involved with the delivery of obesity services, as well as people with obesity and parliamentarians.The event included two panel discussions, members of which can be found below:
Panel Discussion 1 - Causes, science of obesity & stigma
- Dr Stuart Flint – Psychologist, Leeds Beckett University
- Prof John Wass - Professor of Endocrinology, Oxford University
- Prof Pinki Sahota - Professor of Nutrition and Childhood Obesity, Leeds Becket University
- Baroness Jenkin – Vice Chair, APPG on Obesity
Panel Discussion 2: Current provision & patient perspective
- Dr Matt Capehorn - GP and Clinical Manager, Rotherham Institute for Obesity
- Prof Francesco Rubino, Chair of Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery, King’s College London
- Julie Wood – Chief Executive, NHS Clinical Commissioners
- Sarah Le Broc – Director, HOOP
Key findings of the report:
- 88% of people with obesity who took part in the survey have been stigmatised, criticised or abused as a result of their obesity.
- 94% of all respondents believe that there is not enough understanding about the causes of obesity amongst the public, politicians and other stakeholders.
- 42% of people with obesity did not feel comfortable talking to their GP about their obesity.
- More than one third of people with obesity who completed the survey stated that they have not accessed any lifestyle or prevention services.
The meeting minutes can be downloaded here.
Obesity APPG Extraordinary General Meeting
The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Obesity is delighted to announce that following its Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM), Andrew Selous MP was formally elected as its new Chair.
We are delighted to have Andrew as Chair and are looking forward to working with him in the future.
The EGM follows January’s reshuffle, after which the previous Chair, Maggie Throup MP, has sadly had to stand down. The Group would also like to thank Maggie for her fantastic work as Chair, and wish her luck in her new role as PPS to the Ministerial Team at the Department of Health and Social Care.
The EGM took place on Wednesday 28th February in Room U, Portcullis House, at 11:00am.
The minutes of the EGM can be found here.
Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships Roundtable event
In 2017 the APPG on Obesity carried out an audit of the 44 STP plans in order to determine the level of provision made for people with obesity.
The APPG is eager to understand how it might support STPs moving forward to ensure that they have an appropriate level of provision for people with obesity within their footprint.
A roundtable discussion, held on 7th February 2018, provided the forum for individuals with a responsibility for shaping and delivering STPs to come together to discuss how to make provision for people with obesity.
Guest speakers included:
- Professor John Wass, a Consultant Physician and Professor of Endocrinology at Oxford University
- Dr Rachel Batterham, a Professor and Consultant in Obesity, Diabetes and Endocrinology at UCLH
- Professor Jonathan Valabhji, National Clinical Director for Obesity and Diabetes at NHS England, and Consultant Diabetologist at Imperial
- Sarah Le Brocq, Director of HOOP UK
The meeting minutes can be downloaded here.
An Executive Summary of the event can be downloaded here.
Tackling obesity: from prevention to treatment; the current state of obesity services
The last meeting, on the obesity pathway from prevention to treatment, was on 28th November 2017.
The All-Party Group held its first full meeting of the year after its AGM, with Maggie Throup MP chairing, supported by Eleanor Smith MP and Baroness Jenkin of Kennington, vice chairs.
The speakers were:
- Dr Jenifer Smith, who is running a programme at Public Health England to make obesity and diabetes services accessible through technology.
- Dr Matt Capehorn, head of the Rotherham Institute for Obesity.
- Dr Alexander Miras, clinical senior lecturer in metabolic medicine at Imperial College London and consultant endocrinologist.
- Paul Stevenson, a patient speaker with an inspiring story.
The minutes will be available on this page shortly.
For further information please email obesityAPPG@mailpbconsulting.com or call 02077356963.
Annual Group Meeting (AGM) – 18th July 2017
The AGM took place at 13:00 on the 18th July 2017. This closed meeting was designed to elect officer, appoint the secretariat and review the upcoming work programme.
The minutes of the meeting can be found here.